Thursday 12 August 2010

King of Flipping Everything

- Look here she comes I'd better bring out the big guns / Hello Lnsy you're looking a little thin hun (Eminem, Same Song and Dance)

I've come around to the 15 year old 'quoting lyrics out of context' deal, in an ironic way of course. Stylistically, cutting and pasting chunks of feeling out of songs devoid of their original context appeals to me in the sort of sense of a ransom note, cut and pasted out of magazine and newspaper headlines and all the more threatening for it. Picking a single line from a song charges it with all that intent, all the weight of the emotional investment that its original context provided it with, but leaving the littlest remnants of doubt over the reasons and motivations of what parts exactly were snipped out with the line itself, and what parts were intended to hang unsaid in the air along with it.”


***


Ah, creating some beautiful chaos out of nothing never fails to brighten my day. As I mentioned before, my mum's got a lovely friendly visitor arriving later today, so before she left this morning she left strict instructions that we've to clean up after ourselves, and not undo all the hard work she spent scrubbing down the kitchen. However, there was a minor flaw with this plan! A metaphorical... flea in the ointment, perhaps? You see, she had carelessly left out a novelty gift she appears particularly attached to, which, shockingly, contains a naughty swear word in its caption! Now perhaps she felt, rather immaturely I think, that this may be a humorous conversation starter, but she did ask us to clean up the kitchen, so I think she'll just be extra pleased with me for going above and beyond, and perhaps even buy me things.

You see, this little novelty tin for storing buttons and suchlike, was emblazoned with an 'ironic' picture of an old-tymey housewife with the caption “Queen of Fucking Everything”, obscene I'm sure you'll agree! So I used my initiative, and cut out an appropriate shape of a post-it note to censor it, with the far more suitable F-”lipping” written on top. I'm sure she'll be very pleasantly surprised and reward my thoroughness upon her return. With cake.

This is how a post-it note and playing with scissors has made my day. In fairness, playing with scissors would make most days, but I'm pleased with my creative application of them today.

No comments:

Post a Comment